Saturday, June 9, 2012

For the Love of Hallyu


Hallyu...means 'Korean wave' , which means the popularity of Korean music/ celebrities/ dramas/ movies out of Korea (overseas)...



Korean entertainment is super duper popular,it's not only popular in Asian countries, but it has now 'infected' the western world as well , and not only Asians love it, every ethnicity is enjoying it as well. So what makes it so popular and infective? is it the 'guyliner' where male celebrities wear, or is it the addictive pop music they produce, or is it the more conservative and colorful culture of Korea mixed with the industry which makes it a breath of fresh air compared to American entertainment?

I got drown by the 'hallyu' when I was 12 years old, which was when the insanely popular drama 'Winter Sonata' was aired on TV. I remembered me, being so unfamiliar to the Korean entertainment, would laugh at the Korean language (since it sounds so rough and weird to me that time) and the super cheesy love story line of Winter Sonata......but after a few episodes of that drama, I got sucked into being a Korean addict  ...I remembered going out to video shops to buy the whole DVD set of the drama, and even picking up 2-3 other Korean dramas...and yep, that is when I was officially stuck in the 'hallyu'.
Winter Sonata



I guess what made me an addict was the story line, because it was mostly centered around LOVE, and me being a teenager then LOVED those kind of cheesy love triangle sob stories, plus all the actors and actresses looked soooooo GOOOOD!!! they had awesome fashion and what nots...how could I resist being an addict!!!

Soon, I got hooked on Korean songs, mostly drama OSTs (original sound tracks) first, then slowly got hooked to K-pop. At first it was weird since I could not understand the language (which I still don't now anyways, thank god for subtitles and translations!!), but after awhile I just got so in love with the way the music sounds. The melody was so different, sad melo songs were soooooo sad and touching; while happy pop songs were so addictive with all their 'hooks'.



Few of the popular K-pop groups (2pm,wonder girls,2ne1,big bang,shinee,girls generation)
Then I fell in love with the 'idols' of k-pop because they were so different from the usual celebrities which I used to follow (american/taiwanese ect.). The way they present themselves were so respectful (due to the korean culture) , and there were variety shows which let these idols to show their true personalities (or true 'on stage' personalities anyways), they were funny and clearly you could see how hard they work on stage.



So yeah, hallyu has infected sooooo many people, half of the people I know are die hard korean fans , and I see no reasons why NOT to be a hallyu fan. Well, maybe the insanely pretty male celebrities (who wears make-up nowadays...but why not, it does make them look more pretty) make some people cringe and call them girly...or maybe its the language that makes it difficult to appreciate k-pop/drama.... but hallyu is growing strong, It has invaded so many countries now and gained so many fans all over the world...so yep, sooner or later everyone would be to some extend been 'soaked' in the hallyu:P


I have followed the Korean entertainment scene quite closely for a long time yet I am not a die hard fan of any K-pop groups or K-drama...I'm greedy and I LOVE too many of them to choose a few to be a die hard fan:P....so yep, I shall continue to be drown in hallyu:)... it's just too fun to not be:P

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can create short links with AdFly and earn $$$$$ for every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete